Lift Division Tips for Working From Home During COVID-19
May 06, 2020 |
How to Make Working From Home in Columbia, Mo a Breeze
We have all dreamt of it. Laying around in our PJ’s all day, working at our own pace and eating bon bons while we send off emails. It seemed like an ideal situation in hindsight, however, now that we are in the thick of it some of you may be regretting those daydreams. Working from home isn’t a walk in the park, although you may be taking a lot of those recently. No, working from home takes discipline, routine and balance. That is why we are bringing you some tips to help you through this trying time!
Make a Routine and Stick to it
Making a routine is essential to a successful work day at home. Try to implement a schedule just like you would during a normal work day. Setting your alarm clock and having a designated time you log in to work will kickstart your day with productivity and fight off procrastination. We know it’s easy to hit the snooze button but if you want to work from home successfully, it’s important to stick to a routine. One tip to make sure you don’t crawl back into bed is to make it! Making your bed signifies that it’s a new work day and you will be mentally more prepared to not be tempted to stay in it.
On the other hand, if you tend to be more of a workaholic, set a time each day to put down your laptop and relax. Try to take a walk, Facetime a friend or read a book.
Designate a Space for Work
This may seem simple, but it will do wonders for your productivity. If you are able, set up a desk or corner of your house completely designated to be for work only. This means no working in bed or on the couch. Keep those areas of your house for relaxation and fun! By not mixing work and home life, you will be sure to have a more focused and productive work day. Some tips for how to make your work space feel productive and comfortable are adding a comfy chair and setting up a calendar or cork board to write ideas and tasks.
Communicate Regularly With Coworkers
During this time of social distancing, it is so important to stay connected! Whether that looks like daily emails or Google video chats, you will feel more motivated by staying in contact with the people you work with. Try encouraging each other daily, talking about what has been hard or good and what you have been discovering or learning during this work from home period. We are all in this together, so staying connected is essential for emotional health and productivity.
Speaking of coworkers, here are some productivity tips from Lift Division employees:
- Natalie McIntosh, Content Strategist: Rolling out of bed and going straight to my desk still looking (and feeling) like a hot mess doesn't work for me. I've found that stepping outside, whether that's stretching on my balcony or taking a short walk, and making breakfast gives me time to get in the right headspace and is a smooth transition into the workday. Work from home must haves include podcasts, an essential oil diffuser and working near a window!
- Kyla Phillips, Designer & Photographer: Have one place you go to get work done and keep the same routine. When working from home, it's tempting to lounge around and work from the couch in your pjs. It's just not productive. I transformed my guest bedroom into the ultimate office space for this stay at home stint and completed it with all the essentials! Keeping the same routine and space helps me separate my work and home lives even when they're in the same place right now. Work from home must haves include a dual monitor, music and a water bottle to keep hydrated!
- Sydney Bennett: It's okay to take breaks! When working from home, you have the ability to work all day and night. However, breaks are important to maintain focus and productivity. Scheduling a set time for work, school, exercise and calls with friends allows me to separate my time and not be continuously thinking about the tasks I could be completing. Work from home must haves include a planner to schedule out her day, snacks to munch on and open windows to let in fresh air.
Take a Break
Columbia, Mo is home to so many beautiful walking trails. From the MKT to Shooting Star trail, there are plenty of outdoor activities to choose from. Working from home is all about balance so taking the time to go for a walk will help clear your mind and allow you to work more efficiently afterwards.
Speaking of taking a break, who doesn’t love a coffee break? It’s the perfect excuse to get your fix in while supporting locals. Many local Columbia, Mo coffee shops are offering delivery through a third party, drive through or curbside pick up! Here are a few to consider for your next mid-day coffee run:
- Lakota Coffee South offers drive through and Lakota Coffee Downtown offers curbside pick up or delivery through GrubHub. A late afternoon latte never hurts.
- The Grind is offering mobile ordering through their app and curbside pick up! Try their Chai Latte, it’s to die for.
- B & B Bagel Company offers delivery when you order the day before! Coffee and bagels equal the most perfect afternoon pick-me-up.
Did you find these tips helpful? If you plan on implementing them into your work day let us know in the comments below. Please share anymore tips you have for working from home as well, we could all use the extra encouragement! #BetterTogether