How to Support Local in Columbia, Mo During COVID-19
Apr 14, 2020 |
What Can I Do To Support Local Businesses in Columbia, Mo?
COVID-19 has hit the local restaurant industry hard. According to CNBC, “One analyst predicted that the disruption to businesses from coronavirus could lead to 15,000 permanent retail store closures in 2020, with the Economic Policy Institute predicting that the disease outbreak could potentially wipe out three million jobs from the U.S. economy before this summer.” This means Downtown Columbia and other highly saturated local businesses could be gone before the end of summer 2020. Keep reading to explore how you can support local businesses during this hard time.
Take Out is the New Dining In
Before the Coronavirus hit, take out seemed lazy or unnecessary, however, small businesses need you now more than ever. We aren’t saying you need to order delivery or curbside for every meal but once or twice a week from your favorite local restaurants would boost sales and help them stay afloat. Not sure which businesses are offering takeout or curbside? Below is a list of Savor clients that are offering meals to go; making supporting local restaurants a breeze!
- Barred Owl offers curbside pick up and posts daily menus to their Facebook page so you can easily choose one of their delicious meals.
- Cafe Berlin is offering delivery through Door Dash as well as bulk ingredients to make your favorite Berlin cuisines at home.
- Taco Tuesday just got a whole lot better because Las Margaritas is offering their full menu plus drinks for curbside carryout or delivery within 5 miles.
Buy a Gift Card to Use Later
By purchasing gift cards now, you are helping small businesses stay in business. You can use these gift cards at a later time or give them away as birthday gifts. A single gift card can go a long way for a local business in need during this time. Check out great places to purchase online gift cards.
- Surprise a loved one with a CC’s City Broiler gift card for their birthday! Contact CC’s City Broiler via their website or give them a call to purchase a gift card!
- Plan a date night or girls night out for the summer by purchasing a gift card to 44 Canteen. You can mark your calendar and look forward to something fun while supporting them through this difficult time.
- Give the gift of coffee by purchasing a Lakota gift card via their website!
Like and Share Their Posts
We understand this is a stressful time financially for many people. You may want to help local businesses but are trying to support yourself first. Support doesn’t have to be financially straining. One of the best ways to support local restaurants without spending any money is by liking, sharing and engaging with their online posts. A great way to start this is by searching Facebook or Instagram for your favorite local shops, restaurants, and other businesses. Following them, engaging in posts and continuing to support them through this platform is a great way to show local businesses you care. It may seem simple but a like or share can go a long way.
We hope that these suggestions were helpful and you feel more confident on how to support local restaurants. Learn more about local restaurants in Columbia, Mo via Savor on Instagram and Facebook for more updates on how to support our local businesses! Do you have other ways you are supporting the locals? Feel free to get creative and let us know how you show your support in the comments!